Monday, May 19, 2008

M.I.A. on Sunday



so i attended the M.I.A. show on sunday & aside from the unnecessarily moody people that seemed to be gathered around me & my friends, the show was amazing. much of an improvement to the sloppy 4-song set she did at coachella that consisted of superfluous gunshot sound effects that did nothing for me but make me very anxious. M.I.A., from what i know, is in a league of her own. it's not just about her music, she knows how to entertain. she went to an art school in london & it shows in her set design & clothing choices. there were big screens behind her on stage & i know that isn't anything new but the nonstop video art that plays with her music is something beautiful in itself. during one song it was a different clips of girls & women in traditional indian clothing dancing together and laughing, made to look like it is to the beat of her music. something about the clips was captivating & i'm not gonna lie, my eyes were on the visual art for the majority of the show. at one point in the show (which i tried to capture with my 2mp camera phone) she invited everyone up on stage, i think about 40-50 people made it up there. she let them dance with her & each other for 2 or 3 songs, not a dull moment there. she is bright, bold & anything but ordinary. definitely an artist worth checking out if you haven't yet.

No comments: